Monday, March 30, 2009

76-year-old hawker pines for long-lost sister - Star

March 30, 2009

A MINOR misunderstanding has kept hawker Lee Cheang Seng apart from his elder sister Chun Lan for the past 53 years.

Since then, Cheang Seng, 76, has been trying in vain to locate and reunite with his 77-year-old long lost sister.

He said Chun Lan used to work as a waitress at a coffeeshop which operated at night in Penang back then.

“I was worried about her well-being and I told her via mail to change her job,” Chean Seng told a press conference at the state MCA headquarters in Ipoh recently.

“She took it the wrong way and had since stopped replying my letters,” he added.

Cheang Seng said he had approached friends and families, asking about her whereabouts but it proved futile.

He added that he had even tried searching for her at her rented home in Penang but was told by neighbours that she had moved.

He noted that her last known address was 29, Jalan Ah Ding in Penang.

“I really do not know her present condition and I am really worried about her well-being,” he added.

When asked why it took him so long to seek help from the public, Cheang Seng said: “I initially did not want the matter to be publicised and I did not want to trouble anyone. I have now run out of ideas on where and how to look for her,” he added.

Cheang Seng noted that Chun Lan was affectionately known as “Ah Lan” by her friends and former housemates in Penang.

He also urged his sister to forget about their misunderstanding and contact him as soon as possible.

Perak MCA Public Services and Complaints Bureau chief Alex Chan Chin Chee said as Chun Lan did not know English, he hoped her friends or anyone who knew her would inform her after reading this report.

He said that Chun Lan could contact her brother directly or through Perak MCA headquarters at 05-2536891.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So Mr Alex can I know did they found each other. By the way I'm Kee & ftom Penang. You can reply to my personal email at slowerpace@hotmail.com Thank u sir & have a good day ..