Friday, August 29, 2008

Tee Keat hits back at Soi Lek: I've always spoken freely - Sun

PETALING JAYA (Aug 28, 2008) By Ng Kee Seng

Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat has described as “an afterthought” former MCA vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek’s dare to repeat what he said about the possibility of the country’s largest Chinese political party leaving the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition.

“Isn’t he a bit too late picking on me on this issue? It’s not the first time I have talked about this. I had spoken about this possibility soon after the March 8 general election. Don’t you have any other better issues for the (Chinese) community than to just trail me?” he asked.

Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat

Ong, who is the only central MCA leader to offer to run for the party’s presidency so far, said: “My record as a politician has always been consistent in what I say and do. I spoke my mind and it was reported by newspapers that had reporters present.

“What’s this baseless accusation that I am giving my comments only to the vernacular Chinese newspapers. I talk to everyone, just as I am doing now.”

Chinese dailies quoted the MCA vice-president as saying during his recent visit to Bentong: “We need to see some changes in BN, particularly Umno, in relation to coordination and collaboration with the various component parties in the coalition.

“In this respect, any unilateral dominance or sense of supremacy would only irk the other coalition partners. If there’s no change in the biggest coalition partner, namely Umno, MCA could always consider opting out (of BN) as one of the options.”

Speaking to theSun at a Bakti Nusa charity fund-raising dinner on Wednesday evening, the Transport Minister said his statement was not something new to those who frequently attended his talks.

“When I was interviewed some time ago in the non-Chinese media, I had said the same thing in English. I repeated the statement in my winding-up speech during a meet-the-MCA grassroots roadshow in the Federal Territory some two months ago.”

Ong said he would always make his statements in more than one language which was what he did in Bentong last week.

“The morally-tainted blogger who urged me to write to Umno to state my stand was virtually concerned that the reports in the Chinese dailies would not reach the Umno top brass. This is totally uncalled for as I always speak my mind freely and fearlessly, without having to seek prior approval from any party.

“Any one in his right frame of mind will know that any statement made in any language in Malaysia, would readily be translated into other languages.

“I have also been accused by the blogger of being merely reactive in nature, but that trait would actually be an apt description of the accuser himself.

“My record has clearly shown that I brought up the issue of mono-ethnic dominance or supremacy was proactively in my exclusive interview with Bernama (in English) some time back.”

No comments: